Thursday, August 24, 2006

A Fine Bordeaux



Meet Oscar. He is an 8-month-old Dogue de Bordeaux, also known as a French Mastiff.

I met him today on my way back from work and he immediately caught my eye from across the road, thanks to his formidable size and striking copper-coloured coat gleaming in the sun. He is a stunning dog, with beautiful green eyes and a wonderfully athletic phisique.

His owner told me that Oscar can be very stubborn, and I was to experience that. He steadfastly refused to pose and, each time I tried to catch him facing me, he'd turn his magnificent head or, as you can see on the bottom picture, stick his tongue out. In the end, I managed to take a couple of photos that show what a beautiful dog he is.

Oscar was rather timid and shy, which was very endearing and showed that, despite his majestic looks, he is still a puppy, just a very large one!

Dogue de Bordeaux is an ancient French breed. Some believe its lineage can be traced back to the medieval Alaunt breed, which was used for hunting, herding, guarding and bear- and bull-baiting. Dogues are a calm and collected breed, with a strong sense of self, so they need a firm and patient owner.

More about Dogue de Bordeaux: Dogue de Bordeaux Club of Great Britain