Saturday, September 16, 2006

Pug and Prejudice


These two gentlement are Oscar and Darcy, who are both Pugs.

Oscar is the fawn coloured one, while Darcy is the moody looking black one in the distance.

I bumped into Oscar and Darcy in Islington last night, on my way home. Apparently Oscar is a bit of ladies' man and loves female company. He was very charming, with his cute wrinkled face nudging my hands asking to stroke him. This, however, did not extend to sitting down for his treats. Whilst he displayed a great fondness for them, he refused to sit and when I repeated the command he looked at me quizzically as if to say 'Sitting, my dear? I don't do sitting.' Neither did Darcy. He was suitably dark and brooding, like his namesake, Mr Darcy from Pride and Prejudice, and he kept his distance. He sniffed a treat I was trying to coax him with, and turned his back on me, showing his perfectly curled tail.

Their owner tells me that Darcy and Oscar are very loving and happy dogs, great with children but very much their own dogs.

Pug is an ancient Chinese toy breed, first mentioned as early as 960 AD. Legend has it that pugs were imperial dogs and could be owned only by the Emperor and his closest circle. Pugs were first introduced to Europe in the 16th century by the Dutch, who were trading with China at the time.

Their royal origins may be the reason why Pugs carry themselves with a great dignity, despite their dimunitive size and cute looks. Pugs are gentle, loving, constant and playful, so make fabulous pets and companions.

More about Pugs: The Pug Dog Club