Friday, October 20, 2006

The Southbank Jewels


I met these two ladies in Southbank, near Tower Bridge, as they were having their lunchtime walk. They are very precious indeed - their names are Ruby (right) and Pearl (left). Ruby and Pearl are Lhasa Apsos, an ancient Tibetan breed.

I spotted them in the distance as they gracefully strolled along the riverbank, being cute and ladylike. Ruby is a very sweet and charming, and certainly loves the treats. As I fed her a couple, she jumped straight on my lap and settled in, waiting for more. She is very friendly and playful girl, jumping up and down, and investigating all little things around her.

Pearl was, in turn, a bit aloof, letting Ruby coax treats out of me and then coming around only to get her share. Cheeky little monkey!

Their owner told me that they are lovely dogs, affectionate and kind, and I can believe him. Ruby and Pearl were such a charming pair that I found it difficult to leave them and get back to work!

Lhasa Apso is an old Toy breed and comes from Lhasa, an ancient sacred Tibetan city. Lhasas were also noble dogs, and it was a privilege and honour to own one. Even the Dalai Lama was once spotted with a Lhasa in his arms. Lhasa's are lovely companion dogs - affectionate, playful and loving but wilful and independently minded, so they need a patient and consistent owner.


More about Lhasa Apso: Lhasa Apso Club in UK