Monday, August 04, 2008

The Rastafarian Ruffian


I met Rasta today as he was waiting in front of a supermarket in Islington with his owner. He immediately caught my eye as he looked like a very interesting mix of breeds. He has something of a Schnauzer in him but with a colouring of a spaniel so when I approached his owner I was surprised to find out that Rasta is in fact a 3-year-old cross between a Fox Terrier and a Tibetan Terrier.

After having another look, it of course made sense. The compact athletic body with, the saddle style patches of colour and the tufts of hair over his sparkly eyes point to his Fox terrier part, whilst the tasselled perky tail and the soft coat definitely comes from his Tibetan terrier side.

Rasta is a beautiful dog with bags of personality. Not only he offered me a paw like a real gentleman, but also stuck his muzzle into my bag and looked into my eyes persuasively, hoping that something tasty may come his way. He was not to be disappointed. When I offered him a treat, he sat nicely, tilted his head and took the treat from my hand rather gently.

Rasta is not as well-mannered as he seems at first and his owner tells me that he has a mischievous side to him. He loves playing football in the park, and does tend to get a bit carried away sometimes so let's just say that he does not adhere to the Premiership rules! He has a penchant for joining a game of football in the park, making away with the ball and then chewing through it. Although Rasta owner admitted to having to pay for many a football wantonly destroyed this way, it was very clear to me that Rasta's charm and personality made him so irresistible so his crimes were quickly forgotten and forgiven. Just look into these eyes, would you ever hold anything against him?

Apparently Rasta also loses his sense of hearing when off the lead in the park which is a characteristic shared with many dogs. Interestingly, my incorrigible Dachshund Kevin displays similar behaviour!

It was a real pleasure to meet Rasta. He is a charmer and a real character, and he put a smile on my way home. Mind you, my Dachshund Kevin was sniffed my hands with an air of outraged suspicion when I got there!

To find out more about Fox Terriers visit The Fox Terrier Club, and to learn more about Tibetan Terriers have a look at the Tibetan Terrier Association site.

To meet other London Terriers please see visit Poppy and Willy, Dillon, Prudence, Jack, Rusty, Gussie, Barney and Hank.