Wednesday, April 08, 2009

The Tea Drinking Dog of Portobello


Meet Mitzy, a 9-year-old Jack Russell terrier. I spotted her immediately as it is not often that you see a dog sitting on man's arm, having her afternoon tea.

She certainly was a lady with character. She gave me some really good poses, but uttered a low growl when I became over familiar for her liking. I quickly understood that she shares such a lovely connection with her owner, that a nosey passer-by with a camera was superfluous, and a rather pesky interruption. And, of course, one should never forget that despite their rather cute looks and diminutive size, Jack Russells are feisty and full of beans.

For me it was a delightful moment caught in time, and I was happy with that.

Mitzy, with her charmingly old fashioned name calmly sipping tea in the middle of the hustle and bustle of Portobello Road Market, with its antique stalls, vintage clothing shops, cafes and the trendy crowd mixed with tourist milling around, made me think of a slightly more whimsical, olde London, a little vignette of things past, the proverbial man and his dog.

To meet other London terriers, click here.