Friday, August 04, 2006

What's it all about, Alfie?



Meet my favourite dog. My second favourite dog, to be exact, after my dachshund Kevin.

He's sleek, blonde, stylish and a true Londoner, just like his namesake in the film Alfie with Michael Caine, a cult classic from the Sixties.

Alfie is a greyhound, and a beautiful one too. He never raced and has been with his owner since he was bought from a man in the street six years ago as a little puppy. He lives in my neighbourhood and I am always on the lookout for him when I pass his house, as it is such a pleasure to meet him.

He has that lovely gentle, yet a little cheeky, personality that makes him very special. Note his beautiful eyes - thoughtful and kind but with a sparkle of mischief.

Alfie is so charming that everybody in the neighbourhood knows him and stops to say hello when he is waiting for his owner outside the supermarket, or when he is having his daily run around the park.

The sad news is that Alfie is leaving Islington in a couple of weeks. His owner is moving out and Alfie will go with him. I will miss Alfie very much but I know that he is such a wonderful dog that he'll do well wherever he goes. Good luck, Alfie!

Please see MacPherson, a lovely lurcher, also from Islington.

To support Greyhound Rescue or re-home a greyhound click on the names to go to the web page:

Tia Greyhound Rescue

Greyhounds In Need

Greyhound and Lurcher Rescue

Greyhound Rescues Directory

Greyhound Rescue Wales